The weather is still warm here, and we can’t get enough of our homemade ice-creams and sorbets. The thing about these homemade treats is that I don’t mind an extra serving and enjoy it guilt-free. Without any artificial additives and preservatives, my ice-creams are all-natural ingredients based. Today’s recipe is super simple and needs a few ingredients. It is naturally sweet and nutritionally speaking, very healthy too. Pistachio ice cream is a great way to beat the boredom of regular ice cream. It is nutty and full of flavor.
Nourishing and nurturing our cells
As our cells grow older, they accumulate oxidative damage. It can be related to the presence of free radicals, which can cause considerable damage to cells. A class of molecules called antioxidants can sweep up these free radicals and reverse some of the cellular damage. In a study of the effects of pistachios, researchers found that incorporating these nuts into the diet helped lower levels of harmful LDL cholesterol, possibly because of the antioxidants present in pistachios. Read more about the health benefits of pistachios here.
Most nuts contain large amounts of protein relative to their size, and pistachios are no exception. Plus, eating protein-rich foods helps you feel satiated, reducing your cravings for unhealthy foods later on. It makes pistachios the perfect mid-afternoon snack. So keeping this in mind, I made pistachio ice cream that is mood uplifting and lip-smacking. It is sure to bring smiles on everyone’s face.
Why use avocado in ice cream?
Using avocado in pistachio ice cream is a terrific idea since it makes it creamier and smoother. It works as a wonderful substitute for dairy-based products in ice cream due to this. You can easily convert this ice cream recipe into a healthy smoothie by adding more liquid, plant-based milk preferably. Avocado and frozen banana when used together, work splendidly to give a rich creamy texture to ice creams and smoothies. By adding banana, you don’t really need to add any extra sugar. If the banana is not sweet or ripe enough then consider adding natural sweeteners like stevia, honey or maple syrup.
Besides adding taste and texture, avocado offers diverse health benefits. It is full of potassium, monounsaturated fat, vitamin E, protein and calcium. And so, it works as a wonderful dairy substitute on the nutritional front as well. The natural green color adds to the goodness of this dish and you will feel more vibrant. Artificial colors in ice creams and many other desserts are full of synthetic chemicals that can wreak havoc upon our health. Try choosing natural sources to add color to your food to ensure optimum health.
Indulgences taste even better when we make them with utter care and love. We can indulge yet feel a state of healthfulness by choosing healthier ingredients. Check out my Mixed Berries Ice Cream recipe here for more ice cream indulgence.
You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy ingredients to make a Healthy Ice-Cream, and that is pretty much the same thing.
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1-2 Ripe Banana
- 75-80 g Pistachios
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 Dry/Fresh Mint Leaves
- 7-8 Graham Crackers/Nutrichoice Digestive Biscuits
- Step 1 Peel the pistachios and soak them in warm water for 20-30 minutes. Rinse them thoroughly and then remove the outer coating of every nut.
- In a blending jar, blend avocado and banana till you get a smoother texture. Add vanilla extract while mixing itself.
- Empty the mixture in a freezer-safe container and add finely chopped nuts to the mixture. Give a gentle swirl with a spatula, but don't over mix it.
- Sprinkle some crushed graham crackers/digestive biscuits over the mixture. Freeze the mixture until it is semi-frozen.
- Once you get a desirable texture, use an ice cream scooper to serve and garnish with some fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!!
- It will take a little time while peeling pistachios but hang in there, and the result will be good, I promise.